What is the generic name (s)?
This injection¬†contains¬†a medicinal mix of two components:
- Betamethasone dipropionate
- Betamethasone sodium phosphate
How does it work ?
Diprofos suspension is a combination medicine. It is mix of¬†potent anti-inflammatory, anti-rheumatic and anti-allergic medications. Betamethasone is a corticosteroid.¬†It¬†reduces¬†the chemicals which cause allergy in the skin and help in the prevention of allergic reactions which might happen in the later stages. As it is from the corticosteroids class of medicines, it possess anti-inflammatory and immune system suppressing activity.
What are it‚Äôs uses ?
This injection is used in control and treatment of following diseases and conditions:
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Chronic bronchial Asthma
- Hay fever
- Perennial rhinitis
- Cystic Acne
- Ulcerative colitis
How effective is this medicine ?
Diprofos injection¬†is classified as¬†an antihistamine and anti-allergic medicine.
This medicine¬†is very effective for all the conditions mentioned above. It has to be taken in the correct dosage, frequency and for the right period/ duration of time. Please consult with a doctor or a qualified health expert for the correct diagnosis of the problem.
What are the Side Effects ?
Below are the reported¬†side effects that can occur from use of Diprofos¬†medication :
- Sedation and drowsiness
- Fluid and electrolyte disturbance in body
- Congestive heart failure in susceptible patients
- Muscle weakness, loss of muscle mass, tendon rupture
- Osteoporosis, pathological fractures
- Peptic ulcers, irregular bowels, nausea, vomiting
- Impaired healing of wounds
- Skin discoloration
- Thin and fragile skin
- Abdominal distention
- Increased sweating, urticaria
- Vertigo, headaches
- Menstrual irregularities
- Euphoria, mood swings, depression
If you experience any of these side effects, Inform your doctor immediately . This list is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug.
Consult your doctor immediately if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
Doctor can¬†suggest dosage depending on your medical history and other medical conditions, physical health and current medications. The dosage also depend on the patients response.¬†The initial dose should be maintained or adjusted until a satisfactory response is observed. If a satisfactory clinical response does not occur after a reasonable period of time, treatment with¬†this medicine should be discontinued.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
One should take following precaution before start taking this medicine:
- Should not take these medicine¬†unless prescribed by a qualified doctor.
- Take the lowest possible dose of corticosteroid required for the treatment.
- If reduction in dosage is possible, reduction should be gradual.
- Do not take if you are allergic to Betamethasone or any any other component of this medicine.
- This medicine is not suitable for infants.
- Should not use this medicine¬†for prolonged time.
- Keep the medicine in room temperature and avoid contact with direct sunlight.
- Prolonged use can alter the motility of sperm and affect fertility in men.
- Do not take this medicine if you have peptic ulcers, cirrhosis, renal insufficiency and tuberculosis.
- Not advised if you have hypertension and osteoporosis.
- It can suppress the antibody response and effect functionality of immune system.
- Always take the medicine in proper prescribed dosage by a qualified doctor.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug¬†is classified¬†by FDA as pregnancy category ‚ÄòC‚Äô¬†Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans. But potential benefits may allow¬†use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, this medicine is not safe to take if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Corticosteroid can harm the fetus or an infant. This can also interrupt the normal growth of a new born baby. Always consult a healthcare expert before using Diprofos¬†if you are nursing a baby.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
This medicine can be given to children which are more than 2 years of age. Consult a doctor for the information on correct dosage therapeutic requirements of the patient child.
Effectiveness and safety of corticosteroid medication¬†has not been established in children less than 2 years of age. Hence this medicine should not be¬†administered in infants.
Is Diprofos¬†available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, it¬†is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription drug. It must be prescribed by a qualified doctor.
Frequently asked questions
What to do if I overdose on Diprofos ?
There is no acute overdose toxicity form this drug. It only has potential consequences when used for long as it leads to thinning of the skin, slow wound healing and easy bleeding. Otherwise, there is no acute toxicity. While on this medication, it is advised not to stop abruptly.